Monday, December 19, 2011

S is for...

S is for..., watercolor on mixed media paper, December 18, 2011
In "Lord of the Rings," the swords are given names. My son could tell you what this one is called and who carries it in the story. I don't think the characters own their swords. I think it's sort of the other way around. When I was a very little girl (like four or five) and an adult would ask me what my favorite color was I would say, "lemon yellow." It was a Crayola crayon color. My answer usually got a chuckle, but I was serious. I didn't like most other shades of yellow, just the very pale and sunny version. It's still my favorite color. I was surrounded by Jewish culture as a young child and then again right after I got married. I loved it. The sunrises in Lancaster County are amazing. It's frequently foggy just before and after sunrise, and the mist goes through a transformation from gray to orange to blue in a matter of minutes. Those of us who drive east in the early morning to get to work or church are often treated to the stunning color show. No charge. Chick Fil A as a company is doing everything right these days. Their "Eat Mor Chikin" ad campaign has not changed for more than 10 years. It is still brilliant and hilarious. It's obviously still working. Why would they change it? SHE is my monogram. There is hardly any need for professional meteorologists in New Mexico. Anyone with eyes can predict the weather pretty well. You see the storms coming from 100 miles away and watch them build and darken until they're on top of you. Then they quickly pass by, and you're in blue sky again. It is a land of extremes: bluest sky, blackest storm clouds, scariest lightning, prettiest sunsets. It's as if the gorgeous sunset is a reward for surviving the day. I love sycamore trees in the winter when they're bare of leaves. Lancaster County grows them huge and gnarly with bleached-white, patchy bark that looks as smooth as parchment paper. There is such variety in God's creation! He obviously likes different. S is for sword, sunny yellow, silver star, sunrise, sign holder, S.H.E., storm, and sycamore.

No comments:

Post a Comment