Saturday, December 10, 2011

N is for...

N is for..., watercolor on mixed media paper, December 10, 2011
We lived in New Mexico for a dozen years. Both our children were born there. New Mexico has its own color palette. The daytime skies are dark blue; the night sky is like silver glitter scattered liberally across a field of jet black; and there is no true green. All the grass and most of the trees are a brown-green that belongs to the desert southwest. There is just something about the inside of an orange that has always been fascinating to me. No matter how you take them apart or slice them open, oranges are wondrous and delectable. I like to eat them slowly. Okay, even more slowly than other foods! Our first new car was a Nissan, for which we paid less than $6,000 in 1986. It has been followed by a string of other Japanese-made cars. We're kind of sold on them. Nathan is my wonderful son. He keeps me laughing and on my toes. He's the tallest member of the family...by far. He loves all things mechanical, especially performance cars. The nickel and Nathan share a family story, which I won't share. I am intrigued by the idea that there might be such a thing as a Divine Proportion. The nautilus is a fine example. N is for New Mexico, navel orange, Nissan, Nathan, nickel, navy, nautilus, and narcissus.

No comments:

Post a Comment