Saturday, December 10, 2011

L is for...

L is for..., watercolor on mixed media paper, December 9, 2011
My daughter attends LBC. The school's logo is everything a logo should be. I can recognize a good logo, but can only design a poor one. Logo design is a finer art than ordinary fine art and is therefore totally out of my grasp. I live in Lancaster County, meaning I am always ready for the question, "Isn't that where the Amish live?" Yes, and some other folks, too. My bridesmaids wore lavender dresses. I still love the color. One of my earliest memories is taking cuttings from our lilac bush to my school teachers every spring. My mom would wrap the stems with a wet paper towel and then crumble aluminum foil around the wet towel, making it easy to carry. I wondered where she learned to do that. It's a very vivid memory, probably made more so by the intense fragrance. I still love to walk up to a lilac bush and breathe in the nostalgic purple aroma. I love lace, especially non-fussy, non-delicate Battenburg. It always looks handmade, which is what attracts me to it. Lists. Yeah. Everyone around me knows I make them...and often ignore them. I just like to make them. Because I have a son, I know about Legos. I also know how unpleasant it is to step on them with bare feet and how much noise they make when you suck them up with the vacuum cleaner. For me, Legos are multi-sensory. The more inorganic the subject matter, the harder it is to render in watercolor. So, Legos are hard. I like lizards...from a distance. L is for LBC, Lancaster, lavender, lilac, lace, list, Lego, and lizard.

No comments:

Post a Comment